What are the costs involved in buying or selling property?
A typical sale, called a "Gross Sale", assumes that the vendor (seller) will be responsible for the payment of:
- The real estate agent's commission. The commission on the sale of developed property is 6% of the gross sales price.
One half (1/2) of the Government Stamp Tax (tax on the conveyance of real property). This is a graduated tax. The total amount of the tax is :
- Value is less than $100,000, the rate is 2.5%
- Value greater than $100,000, the rate is 10%
- The vendor's legal fees. Legal fees on a conveyance of property are usually 2% of the first $500,000, 2% of the next $500,000, 1% of the next $4,000,000 and thereafter.
The Purchaser will be responsible for:
- 1/2 of the Government Stamp Tax as set out above,
- The purchaser's legal fees as detailed above.
- Recording fees on the conveyance and other closing documents which need to be recorded.
- Payment of the permit under the International Persons Landholding Act, if applicable.
In the event that the sale is a "Net Sale" the purchaser would be responsible for payment of all of the above mentioned fees (both vendor and purchaser).
Schedule of BREA Commission Rates, "Minimum Rates" Sales Commissions
All real estate commissions in the Bahamas are based on the total gross sales price of property, not on equities or partial payments.
DEVELOPED PROPERTY: - 6% of the sales price.
FARMS, GROVES, AND UNDEVELOPED PROPERTY: - 10% of the sales price. Minimum commission is $100.
BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES: - 10% of total sales price, including inventory. If property is also sold at the time of sale of business, use applicable rate for property.
CAR PARKS: - 10% of total sales price.
LEASEHOLDS:- For the selling of leaseholds, the charge shall be 6% of any consideration, paid by the purchaser for the leaseholds plus the regular brokerage commission on the unexpired portion of the lease, calculated as a new lease.
DEFERRED SALES COLLECTIONS: - On collection of deferred payments, 2.5 of the amount collected. When the broker has a mortgage service agreement, this condition need not apply. The minimum charge is $1.00 per collection.